You may need to reconnect ShipWorks to SQL Server if you see this error: "ShipWorks could not login to SQL Server. Detail: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections." (Note that in this case, believe it or not, your best bet initially is to try the trusty old reboot. Just turn the PC off, and then turn it back on again). If restarting your PC does not fix this problem, try restarting the SQL Services as instructed below.
This article contains instructions for restarting SQL Services in either Windows 7 or Windows 10.
Restart SQL Services in Windows 7
1. Make note of the SQL server instance: This can be found in the "Connect to SQL Server" window that displays when you open ShipWorks.
2. Click the "Start" button and right-click on "Computer". Then, select "Manage".
3. When the "Computer Management" screen opens, click on "Services and Applications" on the left side of the screen.
4. Then, click on "Services".
5. Scroll down in the list of services and look for a service called SQL Server (YOUR INSTANCE NAME). The default is SQL Server (SHIPWORKS).
6. Right-click the service and select "Start" or "Restart."
7. Once the service starts, open ShipWorks and you should be able to log in successfully.
Restart SQL Server in Windows 10
1. Note the SQL Server instance name indicated in the "Connect to SQL Server" window that displays when you open ShipWorks.
2. In the Windows search prompt bar at the bottom left, type services and then click the Services icon/listing at the top of the search results.
3. Scroll down to find the SQL Server specified in the error message. (In this example, the instance is SHIPWORKS). If the instance does not show a status of "running," right-click it and select Start.
Once the service starts, open ShipWorks and you should be able to log in successfully.
Still Need Help?
Please feel free to reach out to one of our awesome Customer Care Representatives in St. Louis. We are happy to help.