Table of Contents
During the initial installation of the ShipWorks software, the installation wizard will attempt to install Microsoft SQL for you. SQL is the database that ShipWorks uses to store all of your ShipWorks data such as order information, shipment information, and so on. In rare cases, the installation of Microsoft SQL may not be successful.
If the installation fails to install the SQL Server database, you can install SQL Server 2014 Express manually.
This article will guide you though how to manually install Microsoft SQL and then how to continue with the installation of the ShipWorks software.
First Things First
Before you Install SQL Server 2014 Express:
- Windows Firewall Users: If you are running a program that uses Windows Firewall, please disable it or configure the Windows Firewall to allow SQL access.
- Windows XP users: You will need to download and install Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express instead of 2014.
Manually Installing SQL Server 2014 Express
1. Click here to launch the Microsoft SQL 2014 Express download page. Then, click the Download button.
2. Next, check the box to the left of the correct version of Microsoft SQL for your computer and click Next to initiate downloading your file.
To select the proper download, you will need to know if you're running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows. You'll want the download named either Express 32BIT\SQLEXPR_x86_ENU.exe 168.4 MB or Express 64BIT\SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe 196.7 MB.
Here's a Hint: You can easily tell if you are running 32-bit or 64-bit.
- Open System by clicking the Start button , right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.
- Under System, you can view the system type.
2. Once the download begins, if you are prompted to save or run the file, click Run.
3. On the SQL Server 2014 Setup screen, accept the license terms and click Next.
4. You can leave the default settings on the Microsoft Windows Update and Product Updates screens. Click Next through these screens.
5. On the Feature Selection screen, verify that the Database Engine Services and the SQL Server Replication options are selected. Then, click Next.
6. On the Instance Configuration screen, select Named Instance and name the instance ShipWorks2014. Click Next.
7. Click Next until you get to the Database Engine Configuration screen. Then, select Mixed Mode. Enter a password for your database instance into the Enter Password: and the Confirm Password: fields. Please, write down your password and keep it somewhere important--you will need it to connect with ShipWorks. Click Next.
8. You can leave the default setting on the remainder of the setup screens. Click Next until your setup is complete. Then, click Close.
Verify that SQL is Configured Properly
Before continuing with the ShipWorks setup, you will need to ensure that a few settings are correct in the new SQL installation.
1. Click your Windows Start Menu. In the Search Programs and Files field, enter SQL. Then, click on the search result SQL Server Configuration Manager to open the application.
2. In the SQL Server Configuration Manager, expand SQL Server Network Configuration and select Protocols for SQLEXPRESS. Verify that the Status shows Enabled for Shared Memory, Named Pipes and for TCP/IP. If they are not enabled, right click on the Protocol Name and select Enabled from the list of options.
3. Exit the SQL Server Configuration Manager application.
Connect ShipWorks to SQL
You are now ready to connect the ShipWorks application to the SQL database instance you just created. Here's how:
1. Launch the ShipWorks application. On the Welcome to ShipWorks screen, click the Get Set up> button.
2. On the Database Configuration screen, click the Show advanced options link.
3. Next, select Setup a new ShipWorks database. Then, click Next.
4. ShipWorks will recognize the SQL Server instance you just created with your manual install. Select Use the current instance of Microsoft SQL Server (your instance name). Then, click Next.
5. ShipWorks will automatically assign a name to your ShipWorks database. If you wish, you can click the Edit link and give the database a name of your choosing. Click Next.
6. Enter your ShipWorks account Email: and Password:. Then, click Next. This is the email address and password you chose when you signed up for ShipWorks at www.shipworks.com
The Add Store Wizard will now open. To continue with the ShipWorks installation, select the store type you wish to connect to and follow the prompts. We have articles available to assist you. Click here to see a list of available articles on how to add your store to ShipWorks.
Still Need Help?
Please feel free to reach out to one of our awesome Customer Care Representatives in St. Louis. We are happy to help.