Table of Contents
ShipWorks Single Scan allows you to quickly and easily locate orders in ShipWorks by scanning a barcode of the Shipworks order number. You can configure ShipWorks to print packing slips or invoices for your orders that include an order specific, Single Scan barcode.
The Single can barcode identifies a specific order in ShipWorks, even when there is more than one order with the same order number. Pretty slick!
While it is not required to use these packing slips or invoices with the Single Scan barcode (perhaps you have your own printed barcodes you will use to scan) it may be beneficial for you to do so.
This article will show you which packing slip and invoice templates already include the single scan barcode and how to configure ShipWorks to print a single scan packing slip or invoice for you.
First Things First
Before you proceed with this article there are a few things you will need to have ready:
1. You will need to have ShipWorks version 5.10 or greater installed. To check your version of ShipWorks, click on the Help tab and then on the About ShipWorks button. For assistance with upgrading, click here.
2. You will need to have Single Scan enabled and your barcode scanner registered. For assistance on how to do this, click here.
The great thing is that ShipWorks version 5.10 or later includes templates with the single scan barcode on them. You can use these templates to print packing slips or invoices and to scan the included barcode to quickly locate and select an order in ShipWorks.
The available templates are:
- Invoices > Single Scan
- Packing Slips > Single Scan
Selecting a Printer
Let's begin by selecting which printer the packing slip or invoice should print to.
1. In ShipWorks, click on the Manage tab and then on the Templates button.
2. Select the Single Scan Invoice or the Single Scan Packing Slip, depending upon which you wish to have ShipWorks print for you, and click the Edit button.
3. Click on the Settings tab and then the Printing link.
4. Select the printer that you would like to use to print the packing slip or invoice.
Note: The templates are 8.5" x 11". So, we recommend printing them to a standard inkjet or laser printer.
5. Click Save and then Close.
Let ShipWorks Automatically Print the Packing Slip or Invoice for You
Since scanning the Single Scan barcode locates the order and prints a shipping label, let's set up ShipWorks to print a packing slip or invoice when the order is downloaded for the first time.
We see that having a Single scan barcode to scan will let us quickly locate an order in ShipWorks. Why have ShipWorks automatically print the invoice or packing slip for you? Well, this can help by:
• saving you mouse clicks which saves time
• making the Single Scan barcode available to you as soon as the order downloads into ShipWorks.
1. In ShipWorks, click on the Manage tab and then on the Actions button.
2. Click on the New Action button.
3. Give the action a name that you will remember. For this example we will name it Single Scan Packing Slip.
4. We have to tell the action when we wish for it to print our packing slip or invoice. Select An Order is downloaded from the When the following occurs: drop-down menu and check the box for Only if the order was downloaded for the first time.
5. Let's tell the action what to do when an order is downloaded for the first time. Click on the Add Task drop-down menu and select Print.
6. Let's tell ShipWorks what to print for us. Leave Print Using: as the default of The Order. Click the drop-down menu for With Template: and select the single scan Packing Slip or Single Scan Invoice you wish for ShipWorks to print.
7. Click OK then Close.
ShipWorks will now automatically print the packing slip or invoice to the printer you specified. You can then scan the barcode, and ShipWorks will locate and select the order for you.
Still Need Help?
Please feel free to reach out to one of our awesome Customer Care Representatives in St. Louis. We are happy to help.