Table of Contents
ShipWorks can search for an order, import the weight of the package from your scale, and automatically print a shipping label using Single Scan. You simply scan the barcode. ShipWorks automatically searches for the order, selects the order, imports the weight of the package from your scale and prints a shipping label.
By using Single Scan you save time, there are fewer mouse clicks and you can be sure that you are accurately selecting, weighing the package, and printing a label for the correct order.
First Things First
This article assumes the following:
1. You have ShipWorks v5.24 or greater installed. You can download and install the latest version of ShipWorks here.
2. You have a barcode scanner installed and working on your computer.
5. Optional: Please be sure that you have your scale connected to your ShipWorks computer and that you have enabled Automatic Weighing on a barcode scan. Please skip this step if you do not intend to use Auto Weigh with Single scan.
6. You will need to have at least one barcode of a ShipWorks order number to scan. You may wish to configure ShipWorks to automatically print a packing slip or an invoice containing an order specific, Single Scan barcode for you. The packing slips or invoices can easily be configured to print automatically when the order is downloaded. Check out this article for a detailed guide.
1. While in the ShipWorks software, scan the barcode for your ShipWorks order. In this example, we are scanning for Order Number 1.
- First, ShipWorks automatically searches for the order. Notice that ShipWorks automatically activated the Search All Orders box and entered the order number for you.
- Next, ShipWorks locates the order and automatically selects the order for you.
- Then, ShipWorks creates a shipment based upon the Shipping Defaults and/or Shipping Rules you have configured.
- With Auto Weigh enabled, ShipWorks reads the weight from your connected scale and imports the weight into the Weight: field of the shipment.
- Lastly, ShipWorks automatically processes the shipment. A label will be printed to the printer you have configured.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What happens if I scan an order that has already shipped?
A: You will be notified and given the choice to either Cancel or to process a second shipping label by scanning the barcode a second time or by clicking the Create New Label button.
Q: What happens if I scan an order that has a processed shipment, and also has unprocessed shipments?
A: You will be notified and given the option to either Cancel or to process the additional shipment(s) by scanning the barcode again or by clicking on the Create X Label(s) button. (X = the number of shipments to be processed)
Q: What if there is more than one order in ShipWorks with the same order number?
A: ShipWorks will notify you and give you the option to either Cancel or to process a shipment for the most recent order containing the scanned order number. You can process the shipment by scanning the barcode again or by clicking on the Use Most Recent Order button.
1. ShipWorks includes templates with an order specific, Single Scan barcode included on them. Using these templates to print packing slips or invoices allows you to quickly scan a barcode to locate a specific order and/or to print a label for the order.
This method is the preferred method because:
• there are fewer mouse clicks
• searching is faster and more accurate
• printing labels is more accurate since you are scanning for a specific order
For more information, please see Printing Single Scan Packing Slips or Invoices section of the Single Scan User Guide.
2. ShipWorks allows you to configure an advanced search to locate orders for a specific store. ShipWorks only identifies the order associated to the store selected in the advanced search when you scan an order number. For more information, please see the Combining the Quick Search and Advanced Search section of the Single Scan User Guide.
Q: What happens if I scan an order and my scale is not calibrated properly?
A: ShipWorks will display an error to you if the weight is less than 0 so that you know to calibrate your scale. When the error is displayed, ShipWorks will not process the shipment.
Q: What if ShipWorks cannot locate or read from my scale?
A: ShipWorks displays an error message notifying you that it can not locate your scale. This can occur when you enable Auto Weigh or when you scan an order number and ShipWorks cannot locate a scale from which to import the weight. When this error is displayed, ShipWorks will not process the shipment.
Q: What if I scan an order that contains a shipment with multiple packages.
A: ShipWorks displays an error message notifying you that the shipment contains multiple packages. Scan the barcode again or click the Print Labels button to create a label for each package. ShipWorks will update each package with the weight from the scale. Click the Cancel button to stop printing the labels so that you can manually updated each package weight individually.
Still Need Help?
Please feel free to reach out to one of our awesome Customer Care Representatives in St. Louis. We are happy to help.