ShipWorks version 5.21 or later allows you to download an order into ShipWorks on a barcode scan or by entering the order number into the Search All Orders field. This may be useful when you wish to only import the order for which you are currently shipping. When downloading orders using a barcode scan, ShipWorks can also be configured to automatically weigh a package and/or to process a shipping label for the order after it is downloaded into ShipWorks. Please see the Single Scan User's Guide for details.
This article covers the basic steps on how to turn on this feature and how to download an order with this feature enabled. For a comprehensive setup guide, please see the Downloading Orders with Barcode Scan User's Guide.
Things to Know
This feature is only available for the ODBC (open database connectivity) store type.
First Things First
Before continuing with this article there are a few things you'll need to have in place:
- You will need to be on ShipWorks version 5.21 or later. You can easily see what version of ShipWorks you are running by clicking on the Help tab and then on the About ShipWorks button. If you need assistance with upgrading your version of ShipWorks, please see this article.
- You will need to have an ODBC store added to the ShipWorks software. For assistance with adding an ODBC store, please see this help article.
- If you intend to download orders using a barcode scan, you will need to have a barcode scanner connected to and working on the ShipWorks PC.
- You will need to have Single Scan enabled to and the barcode scanner paired with the ShipWorks software. For instructions on how to configure Single Scan, please see this complete User's Guide.
- You must be logged into ShipWorks as a user with administrator rights.
Enabling Download on Order Search Only
You will need to enable the On Order Search Only option in your ODBC store in ShipWorks. Here's how:
1. Click on the Manage tab and then on the Stores button.
2. Select your ODBC store and click the Edit button.
3. Select the Store Connection link on the left side of the Store Settings screen.
4. Click the Edit Import Settings... button.
5. Click the Next button on the Import Settings screen.
6. Select the option for On order search only. Then, click Next.
7. Click Next, then Finish, then OK, then Close.
Downloading an Order on Search
Now that the On Order Search Only option is enabled, you can download orders by searching for the order number.
Manual Search (no scanner)
Enter the order number into the Search All Orders box in ShipWorks for the order you wish to download.
On a Barcode Scan
With Single Scan enabled, when you scan a barcode, the value of the barcode will automatically be populated into the Search all Orders field.
How Does it Work?
Using either of the above methods, ShipWorks will first search the ShipWorks database and display any orders matching the order number that was entered. Then, it will check for an order with a matching order number from your ODBC source and, if found, will download the order into ShipWorks.
If no orders are found in the ShipWorks database or in the ODBC source, a message will display that no matching orders were found.
If a matching order number is located in the ShipWorks database but not in the ODBC source, the ShipWorks order will be displayed.
If a matching order number is NOT located in the ShipWorks database, but is located in the ODBC source, the order will be downloaded and displayed in ShipWorks.
If an error occurs when attempting to download an order from the ODBC source, an error will be displayed.
The download log can be opened by clicking on the Manage tab and then on the Download Log button.
Downloading Updates to an Order
If you scan an order number or search for an order that has already been downloaded into ShipWorks, the order will be downloaded from your ODBC source again. This is helpful when you have made changes to an order outside of ShipWorks and need to download those changes into the ShipWorks software.
It is important to note that this will not delete any changes made to the order inside of the ShipWorks software. For example, if you have added a note to an order or processed any shipments for an order in ShipWorks, downloading the order again will not delete the note or shipment history.
Still Need Help?
Please feel free to reach out to one of our awesome Technical Support Representatives in St. Louis. We are happy to help.