First Things First
Need More Help?
ShipWorks allows you to easily install a new instance of Microsoft SQL Express (which includes a size limit of 10 gigabytes on any database) during your initial installation. However, you also have the option of installing a new ShipWorks database in your own instance of Microsoft SQL. You may wish to do this when:
- You have purchased your own, full copy of SQL which does not have a database size limit.
- You wish to install ShipWorks onto your own SQL server PC and connect ShipWorks clients to this ShipWorks SQL server.
- This article assumes that you have a working knowledge of Microsoft SQL.
- This article assumes that you already have your own copy of Microsoft SQL installed and that a new SQL instance has been created specifically for use with ShipWorks.
- This article assumes that you have downloaded and have begun the ShipWorks installation.
2. Click the blue link for Show Advanced Options.
3. Select the option to Setup a new ShipWorks database.
4. Click Next.
5. On the Database Configuration screen, select the option for Choose a different instance of Microsoft SQL Server. You will be able to select the instance on the next screen.
6. Click Next.
7. On the Connect to ShipWorks screen, click on the drop-down menu under Where is your database running? and select the instance of SQL to which you wish to connect.
Note: Don't see your instance in the list? You can also just type it in. See step 7a.
7a. If you do not see the instance of SQL that you are looking for, you can type the instance name in.
Note: Instance names should be entered in the following format: COMPUTERNAME\INSTANCENAME8. If the connection was successful, you will be notified of the successful connection. If the connection is not successful, see step 8a.
8a. If you are prompted that ShipWorks could not connect to the SQL instance that you have selected, it may be because you have your own, secure username and/or password set for this instance. Click on the blue link for Try changing the account. Then, enter the username and password for your instance and click OK.
9. Once you are successfully connected to your SQL instance, click Next. Then, on the Database Name screen you can leave the default name of ShipWorks or click Edit and enter your own database name.
10. Clicking Next will begin the installation of the new ShipWorks database in the SQL instance you selected in step 7. Once the database is successfully created, you will be taken to the ShipWorks Account screen. From this screen, you can continue with the installation of ShipWorks.
You now have a ShipWorks database installed in your own instance of Microsoft SQL.
If you are installing ShipWorks for the first time and need to continue with your account setup, please see our Getting Started Guide which will guide you through the rest of the setup process.
Still Need Help?
Please feel free to reach out to one of our awesome Technical Support Representatives in St. Louis. We are happy to help.
Have a comment to share about this article? We'd love to hear from you. You must be logged in to your Support Portal account to leave a comment.