Firewalls are designed for security purposes, keeping unwanted programs (like viruses) from accessing your information. However, sometimes it’s so good at doing its job that it prevents ShipWorks from connecting to your server computer. Perform the following actions on all computers that you want to connect to the ShipWorks database.
Allowing ShipWorks to Run through Windows Firewalls
1. Go to the Windows Start Menu.
2. Navigate to Control Panel System and Security.
3. Click Windows Firewall.
4. Click Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall.
5. From the list, select SQL Server (YourInstance). It should be ShipWorks or SQLExpress (if you installed SQL Server manually).
6. Click OK to save changes.
Repeat these steps on all computers that you want to connect to the ShipWorks database.
For more details on working with Windows Firewalls, please refer to Microsoft's help article Configure the Windows Firewall to Allow SQL Server Access.