Adding attributes to products allows you to differentiate between similar products in your product catalog. Similar shirts, for example, may be differentiated by size and by color. You can enter as many attributes to a product as you need.
In our example, we have Smokehouse Bacon that is smoked with hickory wood and a variant of the same Smokehouse Bacon smoked with apple wood. We will differentiate our Smokehouse Bacon by the type of wood the bacon was smoked with using an attribute and by using product variants.
First Things First
Products are available in ShipWorks version 6.0 or later. You can check your current version of ShipWorks by clicking on the Help tab and then the About ShipWorks button. For assistance with upgrading your version of ShipWorks, please see this article.
1. Click on the product's SKU or Name to open the Edit Product screen.
2. Enter the attribute name (such as size or color) into the Attribute field. We will be creating an attribute called Smoke.
3. Now, enter the value for the variant into the Value filed. For our example, since this variant was smoked using hickory wood, we are entering a value of Hickory.
4. Click the Add button to add the variant to the product.
If you need to remove an attribute from a product, you can do so by selecting the attribute and clicking on the Delete button.
Deleting an Attribute from a Product
5. If you wish to, you could also modify the name of the product so that the description matches the attribute you added. For our example, we modify the name to specify that it is smoked with hickory wood.
6. Click the Save button to the save the changes to the product.
Now that we have a product for our hickory smoked Smokehouse Bacon, we need a variant of that product that is apple smoked.
Adding a variant of a product already in the ShipWorks product catalog allows you to group similar products together under a parent product. In our example, we will create a variant of the hickory smoked bacon, assign it a new SKU, a new name, and add an attribute specifying it is apple smoked.
To create a variant:
1. Select the product to which you would like to create a variant. Then, click the Create Variant button.
The New Variant screen opens and contains all of the details of the original product.
1. Select the products for which you would like to add a variant. Then, click the Add button and select Variant.
2. Enter a new, unique SKU for the product. Remember, each product or product variant in ShipWorks must have a unique SKU number.
3. Optionally, you may modify the name to better describe the product.
Next, let’s modify the attributes of the product to differentiate it from the parent product. We added a variant of Smoke : Hickory to our parent product. So, we will need to delete that attribute and add an attribute of Smoke : Apple.
4. Select any attribute that needs to be modified and click the Delete button to remove them from the product variants list.
5. Following the steps in the above Adding Attributes section, add the appropriate attributes to the product variant. Note that the Attribute drop-down will contain any attributes associated to the original product.
Drop-down with attributes from parent product
Adding new attributes to a product variant
6. After adding all of the product attributes to the product variant, click the Save button to save the changes.
You now have a parent product and a variant of that product in your product catalog, each with attributes differentiating them from one another.
Parent and variant products
Click here for a list of all of the articles related to the Product Catalog.
Still Need Help?
Please feel free to reach out to one of our awesome Technical Support Representatives in St. Louis. We are happy to help.
Have a comment to share about this article? We'd love to hear from you. You must be logged in to your Support Portal account to leave a comment.