Table of Contents
ShipWorks version 5.18 or later includes a template that can be used to easily send standard formatted labels (designed for a laser or inkjet printer) to a thermal printer. This is useful when using a thermal printer, such as the Dymo 4XL, that does not support the EPL or ZPL thermal label formats.
This article will guide you through how to use the Standard 4x6 label template to send shipping labels to your thermal printer.
First Things First
In order to use the Standard 4x6 template you must be running ShipWorks version 5.18 or later. You can check your version of ShipWorks by clicking on the Help tab and then on the About ShipWorks button. Click here if you need assistance with upgrading to the latest version.
You must be logged into ShipWorks as a user with administrator rights.
Selecting the Thermal Printer
The first step is to point the new Standard 4x6 template to the thermal printer you intend to use to print your shipping labels. Here's how:
1. Click on the Manage tab and then on the Templates button.
2. Expand the Labels folder on the list of templates on the left side of the Template Manager screen. Then, select the Standard 4x6 template.
3. Click the Edit button, select the Settings tab, then click on Printing.
4. Select the thermal printer to which you wish to have the shipping labels printed from the list of printers in the Printer: drop-down menu.
5. Click the Save button and then Close.
Set the Default Label Type to Standard
For this example we will be using the USPS shipping provider. However, the steps are the same for all providers.
1. Click on the Manage tab and then on the Shipping Settings button.
2. Select the shipping provider for which you need to set the default label type. In this example, we chose USPS.
3. Click on the blue text Defaults - [your selected provider] located at the top of the Settings tab.
4. Locate the Requested Label format: option and select Standard from the drop-down menu.
5. Click OK.
Configuring the Output Rules
The final step is to tell ShipWorks to print your shipping labels using the Standard 4x6 template. Here's how:
1. You should still be on the Settings tab of the Shipping Settings screen. If not, click on Manage > Shipping Settings > select your shipping provider.
2. Select the Printing tab.
The printing tab should contain a set of printing rules that are formatted like the the below screenshot.. If they are not, see this article.
Note: If you have custom Output Rules configured and are unsure of how modifying the rules may affect printing, please reach out to our awesome support team and we will be happy to help.
default output rules
3. Locate the line that reads Otherwise Always print with and select the Standard 4x6 template from the template drop-down menu.
4. Click the Close button.
That's it. Be sure to follow the steps in the Set the Default Label Type to Standard and the Configuring the Output Rules section of this article for each shipping provider you use.
Still Need Help?
Please feel free to reach out to one of our awesome Customer Care Representatives in St. Louis. We are happy to help.
Still Need Help?
Please feel free to reach out to one of our awesome Technical Support Representatives in St. Louis. We are happy to help.