ShipWorks includes a template to send standard formatted labels (designed for a laser or inkjet printer) to a thermal printer. This is useful when using a thermal printer, such as the Dymo 4XL, that does not support the EPL or ZPL thermal label formats.
This article will guide you through how to use the Standard 4x6 label template to send shipping labels to your thermal printer.
Point the Standard 4x6 template to the thermal printer you intend to use to print your shipping labels. Here's how:
2. Expand the Labels folder on the list of templates on the left side of the Template Manager screen. Then, select the Standard 4x6 template.
3. Click the Edit button, select the Settings tab, then click on Printing.
4. Select the thermal printer to which you wish to have the shipping labels printed from the list of printers in the Printer: drop-down menu.
5. Click the Save button and then Close.
For this example we will be using the USPS shipping provider. However, the steps are the same for all providers.
2. Select the shipping provider for which you need to set the default label type. In this example, we chose USPS.
3. Click on the blue text Defaults - [your selected provider] located at the top of the Settings tab.
4. Locate the Requested Label format: option and select Standard from the drop-down menu.
5. Click OK.
Tell ShipWorks to print your shipping labels using the Standard 4x6 template. Here's how:
1. You should still be on the Settings tab of the Shipping Settings screen. If not, click on Manage > Shipping Settings > select your shipping provider.
2. Select the Printing tab.
The printing tab should contain a set of printing rules that are formatted like the the below screenshot. If they are not, please see our article on how to configure the default printing rules.
Do You Have Customized Output Rules?
If you have custom Output Rules configured and are unsure of how modifying the rules may affect printing, please reach out to our awesome support team and we will be happy to help.
3. Locate the line that reads Otherwise Always print with and select the Standard 4x6 template from the template drop-down menu.
4. Click the Close button.
Still Need Help?
Please feel free to reach out to one of our awesome Technical Support Representatives in St. Louis. We are happy to help.
Have a comment to share about this article? We'd love to hear from you. You must be logged in to your Support Portal account to leave a comment.