ShipWorks can output any order related data that will print on invoices/packing slips, etc. in Barcode format. By converting, for instance, the Shipworks order number to Barcode format, customers can scan the barcode and the order number will be displayed in the quick search field on the main toolbar and Shipworks will display the specific order.
To add support for Barcodes, you will need to download and install the Free 3 of 9 barcode font from the following URL:
1. Open your web browser and navigate to http://www.barcodesinc.com/free-barcode-font/. Then, click on the Download the Code 39 truetype barcode font.
2. Once downloaded, extract the contents of the zip file to your desktop or other suitable location by right clicking on the .zip file and selecting Extract All.
3. Double click on the extracted font and follow the prompts to install it.
Note: If double-clicking does not install the font you can also select the extracted fre3pf9x.ttf and free3of9.ttf files. Then right click on the selected files and select Copy from the drop-down menu.
Then, in Windows, open the C:\Windows\Fonts folder. Then, right click in the folder and select Paste from the drop-down menu. This will install the free3of9 font into Windows.
Now that the barcode font is installed in Windows you are ready to modify your ShipWorks template to include the barcode.
For this example, we will modify the Standard Packing Slip template to include a barcode of the ShipWorks Order Number.
2. In the Template Manager, select the Packing Slips Standard template. Then, click the Copy button. This ensures you have a backup copy of your template in the event you should make a mistake when adding code or modifying the Standard packing slip.
3. With the Standard template still selected, click on the Edit button.
Adding the barcode to your template requires you to specify the barcode font format inside an HTML declaration. Any Order Data retrieved from Shipworks inside this declaration would be output in a barcode format.
To add a barcode for the order number to your template, add the following code wherever you would like the Barcode to appear.
<font style="font-family:Free 3 of 9; font-size:48pt; font-weight:normal;">*<xsl:value-of select="//Order/Number" />*</font>
For this example we will place the barcode directly above the order number at the top right of the template.
4. In the Template Editor click on the Code tab.
5. While on the Code tab, scroll down to line 77 of the code for the template. Please note that if you would like to place the barcode in a different location on the template, you will need to scroll to that location in the code.
6. On line 77, enter the following code:
7. In the Template Editor, click on the Preview tab.
8. On the Preview tab, ensure that you see the barcode located directly above the order number.
Congratulations! You now have a barcode of the order number.
9. Click Save and then click Close.
You can scan a barcode of the ShipWorks Order Number from a packing slip or invoice to quickly locate the order.
1. In ShipWorks, place your cursor into the Search All Orders box by clicking in it.
2. Assuming that you have a properly installed barcode scanner, scan the barcode of the ShipWorks order number on your printed Packing Slip.
3. You should now have only this order number displayed in ShipWorks.
Still Need Help?
Please feel free to reach out to one of our awesome Technical Support Representatives in St. Louis. We are happy to help.
Have a comment to share about this article? We'd love to hear from you. You must be logged in to your Support Portal account to leave a comment.