Automate Backups of ShipWorks
Having a backup of your ShipWorks files is a life-saver if you ever have a computer crash or experience another emergency. You can do a backup on demand following the instructions in "Backing Up Your ShipWorks Database" or follow the instructions below to set ShipWorks to automatically back up its files on a regular schedule. Automating your backups will allow you to rest assured that you always have a recent backup.
2. Click the New Action button.
3. Type in a Name for this automated backup action. For this example, we'll use Backup ShipWorks.
4. Select A scheduled time from the When the following occurs: drop-down menu.
5. Now, select your desired frequency of backup. We'll choose Daily for this example.
6. Use the drop-down menus and check-boxes provided to select the desired schedule. For our example we'll choose 10:30 PM, daily, with no end date.
7. Click the Add Task button and scroll down the menu to select Backup the database.
8. Define the backup settings you want:
8a: First, type in a name for the backup file. The current date/time will automatically be appended to the file name. The file type/ extension is .swb.
8b: Click the Browse button and select the location to which you would like to save the backup files. It is recommended that you save your backups to an external hard drive or to a network share. Click OK when finished.
8c. Choose how many backup files to keep at any given time. For this example, we'll opt to save only the last 7 backup files. When you have 7 backup files in the folder and another back up occurs, the oldest file in the folder will be removed. If you don’t specify a number ShipWorks will keep a copy of every backup it makes which can add up very quickly. It is difficult to imagine a scenario where you'd need more than the last few backup files. We recommend that you save only the last few backups.
9. Click the Settings link and then select the On specific computers: option and check the box next to your ShipWorks server. (Yours won't look exactly like the example - it will have the names of your computers on it. Choose the computer with the ShipWorks database on it).
10. Click OK and then Close to save the changes.
Still Need Help?
Please feel free to reach out to one of our awesome Technical Support Representatives in St. Louis. We are happy to help.
Have a comment to share about this article? We'd love to hear from you. You must be logged in to your Support Portal account to leave a comment.