Troubleshooting: Can't Connect to SQL Server
Are you encountering the below error when launching the ShipWorks application? In most cases, you can resolve this issue yourself quickly and easily.
ShipWorks could not login to SQL Server. Detail: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections.
First, try simply rebooting your PC. There is a Windows service that allows the ShipWorks application to talk to the ShipWorks database that sometimes decides to stop running. If it is not running, you get the error. Rebooting should force the service to start again.
Did that work for you?
Yes? - Great! You are all set.
No? - OK, let's try starting the service manually. It is really easy. Honest.
While we do include detailed instructions for you below, you can follow the 4 simple steps in the printable cheat sheet to get up and running quickly. Plus, you can save the cheat sheet for later, just in case you need to start the service again. .
If you need to follow more detailed instruction, see below.
1. Note the SQL Server instance name indicated in the "Connect to SQL Server" window that displays when you open ShipWorks. 2. In the Windows search prompt bar at the bottom left, type services and then click the Services icon/listing at the top of the search results.
3. Scroll down to find the SQL Server specified in the error message. (In this example, the instance is SHIPWORKS). If the instance does not show a status of "running," right-click it and select Start.
Once the service starts, open ShipWorks and you should be able to log in successfully.
1. Make note of the SQL server instance: This can be found in the "Connect to SQL Server" window that displays when you open ShipWorks.
2. Click the "Start" button and right-click on "Computer". Then, select "Manage".
3. When the "Computer Management" screen opens, click on "Services and Applications" on the left side of the screen.
4. Then, click on "Services".
5. Scroll down in the list of services and look for a service called SQL Server (YOUR INSTANCE NAME). The default is SQL Server (SHIPWORKS).
6. Right-click the service and select "Start" or "Restart."
7. Once the service starts, open ShipWorks and you should be able to log in successfully.
Still Need Help?
Please feel free to reach out to one of our awesome Technical Support Representatives in St. Louis. We are happy to help.
Have a comment to share about this article? We'd love to hear from you. You must be logged in to your Support Portal account to leave a comment.